New developments that arise with each passing day in the field of hair transplantation, have provided innovative ways to improve the patient experience and achieve high levels of comfort. Dr. Serkan Aygin’s Clinic was one of the first clinics to start making the transplant process even easier for its patients and since 2019 all hair transplants in the clinic are done under sedation, making the transplant that was a simple procedure in the first place, even easier. Before we provide detailed information on the process of anesthesia, we will explain the basic steps for hair transplantation.
Stages of hair transplantation
Hair transplantation consists of four stages, these are the stages:
1. Preparation for hair transplantation
The preparation phase actually refers to the disinfection of the donor and transplanted area (the recipient), and more importantly – the administration of anesthesia. Although this is a pre-hair transplant procedure, in a sense, the stage that determines the comfort of the transplant is the stage where the anesthesia is given. At this point the issue of the mode of anesthesia shows the difference of Soft FUE. That, will be possible to determine only if the hair follicles produced from the donor area come out homogeneously.
2. Removal of hair follicles intended for transplantation
The process to perform after anesthesia in a hair transplant is to separate the hair follicles from the skin using cylindrical needles that rotate at low speed, known as ‘micro-motor’.
At this point, the factor that affects the success of a hair transplant is the way to extract hair follicles.
The key to perfecting and achieving a natural-looking hair transplant after the procedure is: to leave tiny spots that form following the removal of the follicles in the donor area, which are almost invisible. To do this, the hair follicles must be removed from the donor area in a homogeneous distribution, and therefore, the number of follicles that can be extracted varies from person to person.
3. Creating the donated area
The process of creating the receiving area is the most important step in achieving natural-looking results. The determining factor for naturalness in hair transplantation is the implantation of the hair roots in close proximity in order to achieve a more natural look and create the canals at the right angle as well as in the direction of hair growth. The angle of hair transplantation will be done at 40-45 degrees from the scalp skin. The direction of transplantation, on the other hand, refers to the natural direction of hair growth. Minor cuts in the recipient area made according to these two criteria, will yield the most natural results after hair transplantation.
4. Transplantation of hair follicles
The location of the follicles is the last step in the hair transplant process. At this stage, it is necessary to avoid the risk of tissue damage by extremely reduced contact with the hair follicles. As we will see here, the process of hair transplantation begins with the administration of anesthesia. For this reason providing the sedation at the beginning of the transplant is the main factor that affects your comfort throughout the transplant process.
Anesthesia in hair transplantation
Anesthesia is the most painful stage in the hair transplant process. Today the anesthesia process is performed in two common ways.
1. Anesthesia procedure using sedation
In this method, the initial anesthesia is given by injection. Despite the fact that these needles have a very thin diameter and since the anesthesia is given to the scalp, they cause a strong feeling of pain. In this procedure the person remains conscious but his feelings are reduced and therefore no pain is felt during the injections or in the other parts of the transplant. The dosing dose is determined by the medical staff and under the direct supervision of the anesthesiologist based on the patient’s physical condition and pain threshold. Today, this method is the most popular because it is also cost effective.
2. Local anesthesia
This process is performed using a device that can deliver the anesthetic to the skin by applying pressure, which is developed in order to reduce the perceived level of pain given by the injection. This device touches the skin and provides a more liquid anesthetic on the skin with high pressure on its own. The anesthesia is then given by injection. Basically the first anesthetic that is applied does not spread homogeneously in the skin and cannot penetrate deeply. Due to this reason, in the anesthesia procedure to be performed in the subsequent process, the sensation of pain may remain, although to a small extent. At this point, the injection of the anesthetic is given priority over anesthesia triggered by pressure.
The sedation process
The anesthetic, which can actually be used even on infants, is one of the most advanced and important medical procedures in the field of anesthesia. The sedative is a combination of active ingredients for the body to relieve pain in an appropriate dose based on the patient’s state of health. During the sedation, the patient remains conscious but the pain sensations decrease. Thus, no pain is felt at all during the injections or at any stage during the transplant. The presence of anesthesia during the administration of the anesthesia is a significant thing to perform the procedure. Because the dose of sedation given to the patient is determined on the basis of the patient’s physical abilities and his pain level.
Advantages of SOFT FUE (Soft sedation)
SOFT FUE provides a high level of comfort to patients as well as the medical staff of the transplant.
Important characteristics of the application of sedation for hair transplantation in Dr. Serkan Aygin’s clinic:
- The patient is sedated and does not feel any pain during local anesthesia.
- The patient remains conscious during the procedure.
- The patient is allowed to eat and drink before the transplant. This does not prevent the subsequent sedation of the substance.
- The patient can meet all his needs during the transplant (such as going to the bathroom, eating and drinking).
- The patient can return to his home or hotel without difficulty once the transplant is complete.
The advantages of soft sedation compared to regular sedation are as follows:
- The collaboration and communication between the patient and the medical staff does not fail under soft sedation.
- During the transplant, the patient will be able to know accurately in terms of times and also in terms of health about each stage that begins or passes. Thus, the patient is more satisfied and satisfied at the end of the transplant.
- The sedative material cannot be given without the supervision of a qualified doctor. At Dr. Serkan Aygin’s clinic, the sedative is given under the supervision of an anesthesiologist and is based on individual transplant results. In other words, the patient receiving the sedation undergoes this procedure as a separate stage run by an anesthesiologist and his staff who is not the hair transplant doctor. Prior to the procedure, the anesthesiologist gives a dose of sedation that is individually measured based on the patient’s height and physical condition.
During the procedure, continuous monitoring of heart rate and other vital signs is created. For this reason, the presence of an anesthesiologist in the area of the transplant is an uncompromising essential factor in Dr. Serkan Aygin’s clinic.